Friday, October 28, 2011

Birthday Oreo Cheesecake

For my boyfriend's birthday, I decided to make his favorite dessert: cheesecake! Although he loves any type of cheesecake, I decided on oreo after being inspired by foodgawker.

I've made a few cheesecakes before so I wasn't too nervous to make another one. But I did want to add something different so I added chocolate chips to the edge of the cake. This was a difficult task but it ended up being the best part - crunchy and chocolaty, who wouldn't like that!
I also wanted to change up the recipe I found so I made only part of the batter chocolate so it wouldn't be too rich. Plus, the two colored layers looked pretty cool! 
Oreo Cheesecake
adapted from kraft kitchen

Ingredients
2 rows or so of oreos (around 25 cookies), crushed
4 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened 
1 c. and 1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla 
6 squares Baker's semi-sweet chocolate squares
4 eggs (room temperature)
2 c. crushed graham crackers
1 stick butter
3/4 bag of mini chocolate chips (estimated) 

Directions
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees 
2. Melt butter and add to crushed graham crackers and 1 tsp. of sugar. Mix well
3. Press firmly to the bottom of a 9 in. springform pan. Make it is even throughout. (Since I added chocolate chips to the edge, I pressed the crust flat to the bottom. However, if you don't want chocolate chips, you can press the crust mixture up the side of the pan.)
4. Bake crust for 10 minutes. Don't forget to take it out!
5. Beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla with mixer until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time. 
6. Separate batter equally into to different mixing bowls.
7. Melt 4 chocolate squares and add to one of the batters. 
8. Add crushed oreos to both batters.
9. Pour each batters into the pan, one at a time to form layers (I pour the chocolate layer last). 
10. Bake on the center rack for 50 minutes to an hour (It took about 1 hour and 15 minutes for me).

For the chocolate chip edge :)
1. Melt the other 2 chocolate squares and spread on the edge of cake. Wait until cake is completely cooled.
2. With your hands and lots of patience, place chocolate chips on the edge, using the melted chocolate as "glue."  
3. Set cake in refrigerator so the chocolate sets. 
Enjoy cheesecake chilled!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...