Sunday, December 11, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Flax Seed


As the fall semester is coming to a close, I have already decided on a couple of goals for the spring semester.  One of those is going to be to a live a healthier lifestyle, eating better and working out more.  You may be wondering why I'm mentioning this in a cookie post, but remember, it's not spring semester yet. :)  

I got the urge to bake cookies today while watching the Packers stomp on Oakland, but realized I only had one egg and the recipe calls for two.  I then remembered that I had a little box of flax seed samples that my mom had given me and that on the box it says that it can be used as an egg substitute.  I did a little research on flax seeds then and discovered that these little buggers are filled with omega-3 and fiber and that they are thought to have health benefits that help reduce your risk of a number of cancers, cardiovascular disease, as well as others!  I therefore decided I'd get a little bit of a head start on my goal for the spring and incorporate this into my cookie recipe.


Recipe adapted from Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
  • 5 tablespoons water
  • 2 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup oatmeal
  • 1 package (12 oz) chocolate chips


Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Add softened butter, shortening, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl and beat together.
  3. Beat in ground flax seed and water.
  4. Add flour, baking soda, and salt.  Beat together. (Use a little less flour if you like your cookies to be flatter.)
  5. Mix in oatmeal and chocolate chips.
  6. Bake each cookie tray for about 10 minutes, or to desired softness.


I was a little worried that the flax seed was going to alter the taste of the cookies, but the general consensus by my taste testers was that the cookies tasted delicious as always!  I enjoy eating a little bit of the dough whenever I make cookies and could only taste a slight difference there, and I didn't even have to worry about salmonella from eggs!

***Update: I have decided that I did notice a difference.  After the cookies were no longer out-of-the-over fresh and were a day or two old, I noticed that they were not as moist and soft.  Nothing that a glass of milk can't solve!


1 comment:

  1. Chocolate chip cookies with flax seeds offer a nutritious twist to a classic treat. Why Games Block The addition of flax seeds enhances texture and brings a subtle nutty flavor. Balancing indulgence with health benefits.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...