Friday, March 2, 2012

Whole Wheat Bran Muffins

Muffins are among one of my many favorite baked goods! These ones happen to be on the healthy side, but surprisingly good. If you don't care for things that "taste healthy", I would say these aren't for you. That is not to say they are not good though. Strangely, my dad didn't think they tasted healthy. Normally when something has whole wheat in it he is less than pleased. I know that completely contradicts my feeling that they taste healthy. It is a mystery to me how he doesn't think these taste "healthy", but I guess I shouldn't complain.


The original recipe said they were a bit dry. I added extra applesauce to fix that. I also decided to add some nuts. I would toast them next time, but I made these on a whim and didn't think of it until after the fact. You could add any type of nut that you wanted. There is no sugar added to these. Even with the applesauce and maple syrup, these are just barely sweet. Next time I may add dried apricots or cranberries. Get creative with these and add nuts, dark chocolate or dried fruit. Try serving them with a little butter or cream cheese.


Adapted from Living Lou
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup wheat bran
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4, scant, teaspoon nutmeg
1/4, scant, teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (2.25 oz bag)
1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 real maple syrup
1 egg

Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a muffin pan with liners or grease with cooking spray.
  2. Whisk the flour, oats, bran, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and walnuts in a bowl, to combine.
  3. In a separate bowl combine the apple sauce, milk, syrup and egg.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing to just combined. Be careful not to over mix it!
  5. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Sprinkle the tops with bran and oats. 
  6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
  7. These were best fresh out of the oven, just reheat them in the microwave! Try them with a little cream cheese or butter, delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...