Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Beetroot Hummus

If you could be any animal, what animal would you be? I have never ever had a good answer to that question. Sure, I got the height, uncoordinated, awkwardness of a giraffe, but that always felt like a predictable default sort of answer. Not very unique, but it may be a close second.


The other day I was having dinner with the family and my mom blurts out that she would like to be reincarnated as a chicken. Why? Its a mystery to us, some things are better left not trying to be understood. The next day I decided I would be an orangutan. They are awesome furry gingers and I have a soft spot for gingers. I don't think think it is true that they don't have a soul.



In my primate class last year, I learned that they are generally solitary creatures. Being solitary isn't really my thing exactly. They are mostly loners because they don't like to share their food. Its fitting for me, I say I want to share my food. What I really mean is you can have a bite and I will hoard the rest for myself. I also expect that you share an even bigger bite of your food with me. That is why I would be an orangutan. Now onto the food: beets.



Beets are probably my favorite vegetable. I love the color of them. You eat with your eyes first after all.  I even love the earthy flavor they have going on. Yes, some may translate earthy to dirt. Maybe I like dirt, so what? What ever you want to translate earthy to mean, I love it. They are also delicious hot, cold or at room temperature. Diverse vegetable alert!


This hummus is perfect for those of you who may not be able to get past the earthy quality of beets. What you really pick up in the hummus is the sweetness of the beets and the nuttiness of traditional hummus. Make sure you salt this generously too, brings out the flavor double time! The bright pink color of this too makes it really fun and unexpected. Give beets a chance, with this hummus. If you already love beets, you are good to go.

xo
April

Ingredients:
5-6 small beets, tops trimmed and cleaned
1 (15 ounces) can of garbanzo beans
2 tablespoons tahini paste
2 garlic cloves
1 lemon, zest and juice
Salt
Olive oil

Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Wrap the beets in tin foil and cook in the oven for an hour or until fork tender. Once cool enough to handle, peel and cube the beets, placing them into the food processor.
  2. Add the garbanzo beans, tahini paste, garlic, lemon juice and zest and salt to the beats, pulsing to combine. Taste and season with more salt if necessary. Add a splash of olive oil to thin the consistency, if desired. Transfer to a bowl, top with a drizzle of olive oil or feta. Serve with pita chips, crackers, veggies or whatever you like. 



2 comments:

  1. Hello April, Brittany, Emily, and Kelsey,

    I'm writing on behalf of RecipeLion.com to let you all know that we featured this recipe on our blog recently. You can see the post here: http://blog.recipelion.com/pink-food-idea/

    Thanks for creating such a yummy recipe.
    Audrey Huggett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very flattered and for such a great cause too!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...