Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tomato Salmon Foil Packets for Two

The only fish I ate growing up came in a can and can also be referred to as chicken of the sea.  Unless you're Jessica Simpson then you know I'm talking about tuna.  My mom did pretty much all of the cooking and since she doesn't like fish, we never ate fish.


When I was in high school I worked as a waitress for a couple of years at a restaurant with a Friday night fish fry.  If you're from Wisconsin, you know what I'm talking about.  If you're not, then you're missing out.  Trying bites of my coworkers fried cod was the start of a very gradual transformation to my taste buds pleasure.


The big bang came when I studied abroad in Spain for a summer and lived with a host family.  When you live with a host family you eat what they eat, and the Spaniards sure do love their fish.  Much to my pleasure (and relief) I found that I enjoyed eating fish, even when it wasn't battered and fried in beer.

I became a fish eating machine, eating the fish whose names I never understood that were put on my plate.  I chowed down on pan fried fish.  Fish off the bone.  A fish that was good for stomach aches.  Sardines (I'm 90% sure that's what those little guys were at least).  And even fish that still had eyes!  While I still haven't adventured full on into the world of seafood, I'm definitely on my way.


Thanks to the masterful cooking and kind urging of Badger Kitchen's good friend Emily, I have discovered a new found love of salmon!  This salmon recipe is perfect for a fish cooking newbie like myself.

The fish stays super moist and juicy since each fillet is cooked enclosed in it's own foil packet.  Once you cut into the salmon it practically falls apart.  The olive oil and spices add flavor to the salmon and are complimented nicely by the tomato and oniony shallot.  I enjoy serving it with a side of vegetables and a chunk of bread to soak up the juices for a healthy, balanced and filling meal.

Hope you enjoy!
Kelsey


Recipe adapted from Food Network.

Ingredients:
  • 2 (5oz.) salmon fillets
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil plus 1 tablespoon
  • Freshly ground salt and pepper
  • 7 oz canned diced tomatoes
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • aluminum foil
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a small mixing bowl, combine diced tomatoes, shallot, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
  3. Massage 1 teaspoon olive oil, salt and pepper onto salmon fillets.  Place fillets oil side down on individual foil pieces.
  4. Spoon tomato mixture onto salmon fillets until they are fully covered.  
  5. Fold the sides of the foil so the fillets are fully covered and fold it so that it's sealed.
  6. Place foil packets on a baking sheet.  Cook for 25 minutes or until fish is just cooked through.
  7. Transfer from foil packets to plates and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, you may also like:

1 comment:

  1. Tomato salmon foil packets for two epitomize effortless elegance. Sealing succulent salmon with vibrant tomatoes and herbs infuses flavors in a culinary embrace.
    How Play Games This intimate dish captures the essence of shared moments, celebrating the art of cooking as an expression of love and togetherness.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...